Recipe Of The Month For Thai New Year
Khao Niew Ma Mung
Sticky Rice with Mango
300g glutinous rice
2 mangoes, thinly sliced
For the sweetened coconut milk:
300ml coconut milk
- Soak the glutinous rice in cold water for a minimum of 3-6 hours and rinse. Line a steamer with a muslin or linen cloth and spread the rice evenly inside.
- Wrap the rice with the cloth and cover. Steam on a high heat for 25 minutes.
- After the rice has been cooking for 20 minutes, heat a wok, add the coconut milk, sugar and salt, bring to the boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Keep to one side.
- When the rice is cooked, place in a bowl and gradually add 2/3 of the coconut milk mixture, gently stirring to ensure that all the grains are covered. Keep the rest of the coconut milk for serving.
- Cover the rice and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the coconut milk mixture to be absorbed.
- Divide the rice among 4 dessert bowls and pour over a little of the remaining sweetened coconut milk. Serve warm with slices of mango on the side.
Our Thai New Year festival will be running in Saba and Saba To Go restaurants from April 9th – 22nd.