Massaman* – Recipe Of The Month
Chicken Massaman Curry
- 480g chicken fillets, sliced (2cm wide)
- 3dsp fish sauce
- 800ml coconut milk
- 1dsp palm sugar
- 1.5 heaped dsp massaman curry paste
- 2dsp tamarind juice
- 1dsp sunflower oil 300g par-boiled potatoes, diced(1in)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 150g onion, diced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6dsp unsalted peanuts, crushed
- 4 star anise
- 25g crispy shallots
- 1dsp unsalted peanuts, crushed
How to cook:
- Par-boil the potatoes
- Bring the wok to a medium heat, add in oil and massaman curry paste
- stir for 2 mins or until it begins to cook.
- Add the coconut milk, bring it to the boil, let it boil for 2 minutes, add the cinnamon stick, star anise and kaffir lime leaves.
- Season with fish sauce, tamarind juice, and palm sugar, and then add crushed peanuts.
- Stir until the sauce thickens, 2 mins.
- Now add the sliced chicken, potatoes, and onion and cook for approx. 4 minutes. Test to see if the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the cinnamon and star anise.
To Serve: Sprinkle with crispy shallots, a little crushed peanuts and serve with Thai Jasmine rice.
Tip: To make a spicier curry, increase the amount of curry paste and add some fresh chilli before serving.